Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Whether I am to serve or not

As many of you know, the last few months I have been campaigning to be elected onto the Rexburg City Council. I put forth what I feel was a valiant effort, one in which I am proud of, in vying for the position. You can see the election results here: http://www.localnews8.com/news/Madison-County-election-results-2015/36150202. As you can see, I did not win a seat, and inevitably, I have been asked whether I will run again in 2 or 4 years, when more seats will open up. I cannot answer that question right now, as we all know that a lot can change in 2 years. But what I do know is that my opportunity to serve my community and my country is not over.
Last night after the official numbers were posted, I was numb to the reality of losing the election. I didn't have a lot of feeling about the situation. After hearing from so many people that they wanted to see a change on the council, the majority of Rexburg did not feel the same way. This morning, I was a bit angry that the time and effort that I put forth wasn't enough, or that I wasn't the right candidate.
However, while pondering my situation, I was reminded of the Sunday school lesson that was taught in a ward that was visiting this past Sunday in Jerome, ID.
Brother Hansen told about a possible flood that was to hit Burley, ID back in the 1980's. The flood was eminent and would destroy the community. The people of the area built a 13-mile canal to alleviate the possible flood waters from a dam in the area to a lower lake that could absorb the extra water. This took them 7 days to build the canal, and without any problems of land rights or ownership. Everyone was happy to help and serve in any way that they could. The point of the lesson was the "perfecting of the saints" and that when we work together, one heart and one mind, a lot can be accomplished in a short amount of time. However, I raised my hand and made the point that in my LDS ward of 500 + people, the same group of people tend to clean the church, the same group of people fulfill temple assignments, and the same group of people volunteer almost every time someone is moving in or out. My point was and is, outside of big things like a flood, what are we doing to serve and help each other out every single day? What small things are we doing to make our community better today?. What service am I doing to help my neighbor out today? 
In a similar manner, I have not been elected to serve on the Rexburg City Council. I have not been chosen by the residents of Rexburg to serve and make the community better. I will not be a face to a community that is growing exponentially.  At this point, I can crawl back in my hole and go about doing my own things, things that will not bother anyone, and things that I think are important. I do not have to serve my community, and no one will care. 
But would I then be falling to the same level as those around me that choose not to serve when the opportunity is granted to them? I believe I would.
So today, I am choosing to serve. I am choosing to pick up trash when I see it. I am choosing to help someone move something heavy in or out of their house. I am choosing to help someone replace a tire, or to jump their car battery, or to clear off someone’s snowy windshield. I am choosing to say Thank You and smile at others. I am choosing to be happy, and jump at the small opportunities to serve my community. I choose to serve my community. 
Do you? 



2 comments:

  1. Vince - This made me cry! I wish you had won! You have no idea how I wish that! I really do hope you consider to run again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Vince. I appreciate you having the courage to jump into the race and putting yourself out there. Choosing to continue to serve others as you see the need is the epitome of the American way, the way of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the way of America's Family Community. Thanks for your great example!!

    ReplyDelete